Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vocabulary Challenge: ubi mors

Here are the words for today's vocabulary challenge:

crux (crucis, f.) - bellum (belli) - meus, mea, meum - qui, quae, quod (cuius) - quoque (conj.)

I will confess that as soon as I saw the words crux and bellum, I could not imagine any other topic besides death to put these words together. Here is what I came up with:
Vel in belli cruce, vel in pacis lecto, mors nobis omnibus insidiatur - mors mea quoque latet, sed in quo loco, nescio.
It's not an original sentiment by any means (there are LOTS of proverbs about how death awaits us all), but I was happy about the double parallelism of in belli cruce and in pacis lecto.

~ ~ ~

If you came up with something good for today's Vocabulary Challenge, share the results in a comment here at the blog! Meanwhile, here are my past answers to the Vocabulary Challenge each day. :-)

2 comments:

Suspira said...

Hoc bellum est crux crudele quod fero et quoque odi.

I'm hoping crux is neuter -- can't remember. And I don't know about sticking quoque in where I did.

Laura Gibbs said...

Hi Suspira, aha, got it - crux is feminine, but I think I can see what you mean; crudele and quod refer back to the crux (feminine) not the bellum (neuter), right? So both crudele and quod would be feminine also, since they refer to crux:

Hoc bellum est crux crudelis,
quam fero et quoque odi.

Where you put a word is very very free in Latin, so the quoque can go before odi or after it, no problem! With the gender, though, it would change the meaning of what you are saying. The way you did it originally, the crux is not mentioned again; it's all about war:

Hoc bellum est crux,
crudele,
quod fero et quoque odi.

That would mean: "This war is a cross; (this war is) cruel; (a war) which I endure and which I also hate."

So, your version made sense, too, but I think you wanted the second part of it to be about crux (feminine) not bellum (neuter), is that right?
Thanks for sharing!