Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Vocabulary Challenge: plenus et repletus

Here are the words for today's Vocabulary Challenge:

volo (velle) - nam (conj.) - verus, vera, verum - repleo (replere) - plenus, plena, plenum

Obviously, I was going to have to find a way to manage these closely related words repleo and plenus. So, I decided to use the participle repletus, which gave me two adjectives to work with that I could build up as a kind of parallelism. The word nam let me know that I would probably need a two part response - a statement, and then an explanation of that statement, since nam introduces an explanation of what has come before. So, here is what I ended up with:
Otium vero appeto, tranquillitate plenum, absque omni negotio, quod periculis est repletum: nam pacem volo semper, et quietem.
I contrasted otium with negotium, each of them being "full" of something (tranquillitas and pericula), and I also tried to work in a bit of near rhyme with repletum and quietem. It's not my favorite sentence that I've written for the vocabulary challenge - but it has the virtue of being true!

~ ~ ~

If you came up with something good for today's Vocabulary Challenge, share the results in a comment here at the blog! Meanwhile, here are my past answers to the Vocabulary Challenge each day. :-)





No comments: