Monday, May 31, 2010

Writing Strategy: Correlative Word Pairs

Latin abounds in correlative word pairs. Not only are these very useful in expressing ideas, they often are similar in sound, too, providing a nice quality of sound repetition, in addition to clarity of meaning.

So, if you see a word list, notice if any of the words in the list is part of a correlative word pair that you could use to organize your response.

For example, when I saw this list - refero - quantus - dignus - verus - cura - I knew that I wanted to use the correlative pair quantus-tantus in my response. You can see the results here, if you are curious.

~ ~ ~

Do you have some good strategies for doing the Vocabulary Challenge in Latin? Share your ideas here! Here are some strategies that I've used in writing my responses.



No comments: